MZMcBride wrote:
> My intention wasn't to come across as dismissive. On the other hand, if
> people begin new conversations without having read the old conversations, it
> sets back progress dramatically. The opening post didn't make any mention of
> the old bugs or their progress, so I was trying to point out that these
> issues were already known and there were already forums in which they could
> and should be discussed.

There are such misunderstandings, so is sometimes the internet.

> I think it's a real pity that CAPTCHAs are needed at all. They're a
> pain-in-the-ass and their effectiveness against coordinated or sophisticated
> attacks is dubious at best.

And then you have projects like ptwiki which permanently make IPs pass
captchas due to a bot attack which was being done three years ago [1].
After running this way for three years, it probably needs community
consensus to change now the status quo.

1-
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip%C3%A9dia:Esplanada/Arquivo/2008/Janeiro#Activa.C3.A7.C3.A3o_de_Captcha_para_edi.C3.A7.C3.B5es_por_IP

> If you looked at all of the CAPTCHA-related bugs as a group (including
> possibly removing the Python dependency), there's more than enough to be at
> least considered for Summer of Code 2011.

We should create a captcha tracking bug.