On 20 February 2011 17:30, Ilmari Karonen <nos...@vyznev.net> wrote:
>> You aren't running trunk in production, right? Right?
>
> And what's wrong with that?
>
> One of the nice things about the MediaWiki development process is that
> our trunk generally *is* usable.  Sure, every one in a while someone
> fails to test their code properly before committing and breaks
> something, but generally you can just report the regression on
> #mediawiki and it'll get fixed or reverted promptly.
>
> Anyway, we really should encourage more people to run trunk.  It's the
> only efficient way to catch bugs before we put out a tarball.

Warning: Grumpy rambling ahead :)

My experience is not so good. Problems creep up almost daily, and
although they are usually reported within a day, fixing them can take
longer. The tendency is that reverts are only the last action if the
committer or someone else doesn't fix the problem in a timely manner.
And it's been multiple times when I have had to prevent anybody from
updating twn code because of the issues I've found while reviewing new
commits (I still read almost all commits to core and extension used in
twn or which I otherwise care). And it's not a rare sight that we have
to downgrade to older version of code in twn. Sometimes even that is
difficult, because it's hard to find a revision which works good
enough.

Okay I might be overestimating the breakage a bit, but I do have the
feeling that things have gotten worse recently (I have nothing to back
this up). It may just be the merge of the resource loader and the
instability that followed. But still, it's a regular sight that
someone commits code that doesn't even compile, especially to i18n
files where they forget a trailing comma.

Pre-commit review could help here. It could even reduce the number of
commits by preventing the numerous follow-ups each commit gets. I'm
not saying we should abandon the current scheme altogether, but I
would love if there was someone I could show my diffs before
committing. Currently I only do it for bigger things by pasting the
diff somewhere and poking random people in IRC. And yes I commit
broken code too :)

 -Niklas

--
Niklas Laxström