On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> Compared to the other things roots have to do, adding a few entries to
> langlist and running the update script is trivial, so I think
> developing tools to open this up to more users would be a misuse of
> time. The difficult things with wiki creation are:
>
> * Finding the bug reports for wiki creations, or remembering to look
> at a list at appropriate intervals.
> * Working out which wiki creation requests are properly approved by
> whatever process it is that we have at the moment.
> * Interpreting the vague requests by the incubator users for special
> configuration of the new wiki.
>
> If there is a non-root user who is prepared to do these things, an IRC
> private message to a root user should be enough to get the DNS changes
> done in a matter of seconds.

Given that the pushing out of DNS updates is already scripted up, I worry
about keeping the need to go grab someone and get them to add a line to a
file and run the command.

No it isn't much work in literal terms, but there's a surprisingly big gulf
between "thing you can do yourself in 2 minutes" and "thing you can mostly
do yourself in 2 minutes, but you'll have to track down someone else to do
30 more seconds for you, make sure they understand what you're asking for,
see if they agree, and hope they have the time and inclination to actually
do it".

What I'd like to see is that the people who are actually approving new wiki
creations should be able to actually make a wiki creation happen
immediately. Most of the configuration settings *should* be things that can
be set at creation time or afterwards, through a web interface, by those
same people or stewards, bypassing the need to bottleneck
decision->implementation through system administrators.

Forcing all this stuff to be done by a small number of server admins and
developers hand-editing configuration files in a terminal isn't a good use
of peoples' time. The actual config editing is awkward and error-prone, and
the need to communicate, verify, and authenticate requests slows things down
and keeps power out of peoples' own hands.

-- brion