On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Roan Kattouw <roan.katt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Normal shell users can execute all but one of the steps required for
> wiki creation: root access is needed to create the DNS entry for the
> new subdomain. Previously we just had RobH handle all wiki creations,
> but he's been working almost exclusively on setting up the Virginia
> datacenter for a while now AFAIK. I previously suggested on IRC that
> we could have regular shell users like Ashar do the wiki creations at
> a scheduled time and assign a root to do the DNS stuff for them.

Why is a rootuser needed for changing DNS entries? A zonefile is a
normal textfile, after all - and if you use PowerDNS on one server
configured as supermaster with a MySQL backend and other servers with
PowerDNS as superslave (backend is not important there), you don't
even need shell access to manage your DNS. Not even for creating new
zones, as the supermaster makes all slaves automatically sync those
zones where the invidual slaveserver is listed with a NS entry.
</powerdns_ad>

Marco