Gerard asks:
> Does any of these communities have *daily updates* of its localisations in
> some 300 languages to its production environment? If so can you give
> references?

You can go to http://git-scm.com/ and see git projects for:

Linux Kernel
Perl
Eclipse
KDE
Ruby on Rails
Android
PostgreSQL
Debian

Click on the links and see how long a directory has been idle, see a
log of changes, and a nice summary of changes and by whom. For
example, on the Android platform/SDK, you can click on
http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/sdk.git;a=summary and see
all of the changes made in the last 24 hours. Clicking on
http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/sdk.git;a=log gives a detail
listing of changes. Clicking further, you see the author and the
reviewer who merged the original back into the production.

I haven't used git yet but after reading the excellent article that
Rob Lanphier posted (http://hginit.com/00.html), I think I will. That
article also explains why there wouldn't have to be as many updates to
SVN as is done today.

I don't think there's any doubt that git would work for Wikimedia but
there would definitely be some workflow changes. That's probably the
larger issue.

Mark W.