Srikanth Lakshmanan <srik....@gmail.com> writes:

> I would ideally like this to be used across non latin wikimedia
> properties as it helps these projects. Please let me know how to do
> this. Bugs on wikimedia bugzilla will do?

First, extensions that are deployed should be in subversion.  Get commit
access if you don't already have it and put it in SVN:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Commit_access

This gets the ball rolling.  The extension will need to be translated on
Translatewiki before it can be deployed anywhere and putting it in SVN
with the proper i18n files and such will make that happen almost
automatically (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Localisation).

You'll likely start to get reviews at this point for code style.  You
can get a jump on those by reading over
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Coding_conventions and starting to
get your code in shape.

Next you should try to get two or more reviews by trusted developers.
They will help you find any thing that doesn't have a chance of making
it past the next step.  Find a couple of people to look over your code
and point out any flaws in it.  Make sure they know you're trying to
follow this guide.  If they know you're trying to get your code
deployed, they'll look for things that would block deployment or
alternatives to deployment that you might not be aware of.

They may also point you to another extension that is already in use
whose functionality duplicates what you want, or could be easily
extended to do what you want.  In that case, you should use your
newly-acquired SVN access to work on the extension that is already in
use.

Finally, anything that is deployed on the Wikimedia cluster needs to be
reviewed by Tim Starling for security and scalability issues.  He has
written written a page on this on MediaWiki that you should read and use
before getting this far:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Security_for_developers

Any issues that Tim identifies *must* be addressed before anyone can
deploy your code on the cluster.  If you've followed the advice of
earlier reviewers closely, you probably won't have too much of a problem
here.  Tim takes his job very seriously, though, so he may well spot a
show-stopper that eluded your earlier reviewers.

Finally, you need to file a bug in Bugzilla to have it deployed.  The
bug will need several things:

* The “shell” keyword so that people with shell access can find the
  request.
* The bug should point to on-wiki community consensus for having the
  extension installed on a particular wiki.  No extension is deployed
  across all “non Latin Wikimedia properties” without first getting
  consensus from the individual wiki.
* Finally, an extension that hasn't been deployed yet should acknowledge
  that fact and point to Tim Starling's approval for deployment.

Getting something deployed is not an easy task, but if you can meet the
challenge, you know you've done something that not many people are
capable of.

(I've written the above up on MediaWiki, too:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Writing_an_extension_for_deployment)

Good Luck!

Mark.