2011/4/12 Krinkle <krinklem...@gmail.com>:
> Looks good, although I'm not sure what the advantage in this case is
> over using a page id.
> Both have the same disadvantage:
> * They are binding to a pageid instead of a pagename.

Actually just recently i thought of a different idea. It looks like
the Interlanguage extension is finally in the beginning of its way to
being rolled out (see https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/15607 ). Maybe
this extension can be modified so that typing something like
http://mul.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama:ar will redirect to
http://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/باراك_أوباما. It wont make the name very
short, but it will certainly be better than
http://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D8%A8%D8%A7%D8%B1%D8%A7%D9%83_%D8%A3%D9%88%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%85%D8%A7
 for sending by email or instant messaging.

The advantage is that it will work for any language. The interlanguage
wiki may have the names limited only to characters which don't have to
undergo URL-encoding; this doesn't necessarily mean "English".

("mul" is the ISO 639 code for "multiple languages". There was no
decision to give the future Interlanguage wiki this name; i just made
it up. The domain can have any other name.)

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
"We're living in pieces,
 I want to live in peace." - T. Moore