On 02/05/11 17:31, Daniel Friesen wrote:
> I wouldn't say more relevant for Wikimedia than Wikia, but more relevant
> for encyclopedia that care about their wikitext than a social wiki run
> by newbies who don't even know what wikitext or a template is.

I am looking forward to a future when even experienced Wikipedia
editors won't know or care what wikitext is. Just because Wikipedia is
a serious project doesn't mean we have to make our editors care about
markup.

> Most of the wiki I was involved in on Wikia all have the RTE disabled
> because the RTE made additional unwanted changes when editing destroying
> diffs, in one case destroyed a bulleted list item every time the page
> was edited,

That sounds like a bug. Is there a test case? Was it reported to
Wikia's bug tracker? Was it fixed? Is it theoretically fixable?

This is the sort of thing I've heard before, but I need test cases or
a pointer to the relevant code so I can evaluate it properly.

> and also increased the number of new users making bad edits
> like inserting an image in the middle of a run of text because on their
> monitor in the WYSIWYG editor it was aligned where they thought it
> should be.

Conversely, I've seen a lot of new users making edits to Wikipedia
which are completely broken due to them not understanding some detail
of how wikitext works, for example, putting a space at the start of a
line, or pressing the enter button for a new line instead of <br/>. I
don't think using wikitext is the best way to make things easier for
new users.

-- Tim Starling