On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:02, Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> don't think using wikitext is the best way to make things easier for
> new users.

It's always been a dilemma for me to see how much amount of computer illiterate
users should be wished for (or actually possible to tolerate). I don't
feel that
web number dot number (whatever version we call it) is fast, reliable, useful
enough to be used as the main way to input encyclopedia text. These
usually very slow, and quite unreliable (including google docs stuff which is
I believe the most advanced tech out here in this topic).

And... People habitually completely get lost in DTP software (be that
[open/whatever]office or else), they can't comprehend formatting, fonts, text
annotation and other advanced features. I do not see that WYSIWYG would've
made them more able to use the techniques. There are some guys who actually
learned enough markup to completely screw up wikibooks (putting flashing 80pt
large fonts in scrolling frames with all kinds of - otherwise not
horrible on purpose - features
of CSS), and I just fear what they can do with wysiwig. Such texts are sometimes
just easier to completely reformat (reset ALL formatting to default
and start over).

Foundation's purpose is to make it easier for everyone and to invite
and involve
everyone, I know.  I just have my doubts and worries, which I have just shared.

Peter