On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 8:46 AM, Alec Conroy <alecmcon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We could directly ask them to tell us, but upon reflection, the
> information is already hidden in our database.  A multilingual user is
> one that actively edits two projects of different languages.

That doesn't follow.  Perhaps someone speaks a language, but doesn't
edit the corresponding wiki.  For instance, I know a decent amount of
Hebrew, although I wouldn't call myself fluent in Modern Hebrew.  But
I'm a native English speaker, and English Wikipedia articles are
almost always better than the corresponding Hebrew ones (often even on
Judaism-related topics).  So I have no reason to read the Hebrew
Wikipedia, when it takes more effort for me and the content isn't
usually as good.  Likewise, some people edit exclusively or almost
exclusively on multilingual projects like Commons.

On the other hand, people might edit on projects in languages they
don't understand.  For instance, they might be running scripts that
automatically fix interwikis or such.  This is less likely, though,
once you exclude bot accounts.

If you want this info, toolserver queries are the right way to do it.
It should be pretty easy to pull this kind of info out of the revision
or recentchanges tables, although it would require reading a lot of
data.  The simplest way would be to get a list of usernames for each
wiki that have edited in the last X days, then use a script to reverse
the lists so that you get a list of languages for each user.  You'd
probably want to only include unified accounts here.  (How many
accounts still aren't unified?)