On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Ryan Lane <rlan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In anticipation for proper HTTPS support on Wikimedia sites, we will
> be enabling protocol relative URLs. This means that things like logos,
> references to resources, and interwiki links will use links like:
>
>  //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> instead of links like:
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> Doing this ensures that we don't split our squid/varnish caches.
>
> We'll enable this for test.wikipedia.org some time before enabling it
> globally, so that there will be at least a short time to test
> beforehand.

*squee* :DD

I'm soooo looking forward to consistent https on the main domains! :DDD

Note there's a possibility that this URL tweak may affect some
JavaScript-side code or client-side spiders/bots that may expect
fully-qualified links or do relative link resolution incorrectly, so
everybody keep an eye out for potential issues in your code. Previous
testing has been pretty favorable about actual browser support.

-- brion