User "^demon" posted a comment on MediaWiki.r91627.

Full URL: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/91627#c19426
Commit summary:

Initial import of GSoC project.

Comment:

This is the review of your proposed schema:
* I see you used my old mwreleases schema for tracking MediaWiki core releases.
Good, because I liked it :)
* For all the tables: we could probably drop the (8) and (10) for our id
columns. They're unsigned anyway.
* Also, adding some more comments about what the columns do will help answer
questions too.
* Looking at 'extensionmanagement', there's a couple of things:
** We try to name all columns in a table with the same prefix, so it would be
good to rename current_desc and current_authors to begin with "ext_"
** Is current_desc supposed to be a short one or two sentence summary of the
extension? If so then that seems fine.
** current_authors is a BLOB. How were you planning on storing the information
here? Presumably we'd be wanting to store user_ids of the Mediawiki.org users
who are maintaining an extension. If that's the case, I would suggest moving
this to its own table called extension_authors or similar. This would let you
have columns like (ext_id,user_id) which is [[w:Third normal form|good form]]
in database design and allows you to do queries like "Name all of the
extensions user 123 helps maintain." Still having a column for the primary
maintainer/owner in this table does sound like a good idea though
* Couple of notes on 'extensionmanagement_versions':
** We don't use foreign keys in Mysql in MediaWiki. Enforce this logic in your
code.
** What is version_status tracking?
** version_release_date should be varbinary(32) like I did in mwreleases.
** is version_directory the directory name in SVN?
** version_entrypoint -- I'm pretty sure this is for tracking what entry point
we would put in LocalSettings for enabling an extension. Since 1.17, we've
tried very hard to enforce the ''extensions/FooBar/FooBar.php'' naming
convention, so I'm not sure this is really necessary to track.
This is a great first draft though, thanks for getting it into SVN!