(Sorry if this winds up getting to the list twice, resending because I
think the first got lost in a moderation queue or something.)

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 2:10 AM, Asher Feldman <afeld...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> From the orig post "Recent Intel CPU has a fature called
> AES-NI<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES_instruction_set> that
> accelerates AES processing. A CPU with AES-NI can perform 5 to 10 times
> faster than a CPU without it. We observe that a single core can perform 5
> Gbps and 15 Gbps for encryption and decryption respectively." There's no
> longer a need for specialized hardware solutions in this space, GPU based or
> otherwise.

I was under the impression that the biggest cost in TLS isn't the
symmetric encryption for an ongoing connection, it's the asymmetric
encryption for the connection setup.  If so, AES acceleration isn't
going to help with the most important performance issue.  Am I wrong?