On 14 December 2011 02:57, Neil Harris <n...@tonal.clara.co.uk> wrote:
> Once the wikitext parser (which is, of course, the hard part) is ready
> to be bolted in, that should give a big improvement in Wikipedia's
> accessibility for new editors -- almost everyone knows how to use a word
> processor.

As you say, it's the wikitext bit that's hard. Without that, a wysiwyg
editor is reasonably simple (we could have just used the one Wikia
created, perhaps with a few modifications). The challenge is having
pages that can be edited both by wysiwyg and in wikitext without the
two tripping over each other. That's why I'm going to keep the cork
firmly in the champagne bottle until we're asked to test that bit
(I'll keep the bottle on ice, though, because this looks like a great
start!).