Thomas Dalton wrote:
>even if power users don't use the new interface they
>still need to be able to use the old one to edit the same articles. If the
>wikitext created by the visual editor is unnecessarily complicated and
>unreadable (like the html produced by ms frontpage, for instance) then
>there is problem. Similarly, the visual editor needs to be able to parse
>even quite strangely written wikitext.

You are absolutely right. I was just saying something additional: that if
VisualEditor isn't targeting power users, then the dev team shouldn't build a
powerful editing UI for templates. Instead they should worry about preserving
an article's template transclusions from damage by non-aware users.

To add to your words: the visual editor should be able to:

- Parse, render, and write 100% of wikitext.
- Produce minimal, correct wikitext for new edits.
- Exactly preserve any other (unchanged) wikitext that it loads & saves;
otherwise version diffs will show changes that the author didn't explicitly
make. (Prime offender: the ASP.NET editor in Visual Studio.NET, which used to
completely rewrite its contents.)

DanB