On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Ian Baker <i...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Good point.  VP8 is pretty similar to h.264 Baseline.  I'd be surprised if
> even a person with considerable digital video experience would notice the
> difference.
>
> However, in the context of the iPhone, there's no good way to play VP8.
>  Even if the software problem were solved, the lack of a hardware decoder
> means it'd completely destroy the battery life.
>
> For our purposes, encoding files with Main or High profiles could be used
> to drop the bitrate without compromising quality, thereby saving bandwidth.
>  It's not a huge difference, though, and I don't think we'd bother.  As I
> said, VP8 and h.264 are mostly interchangeable from a technical standpoint.
>  I brought it up to debunk the notion that because VP8 is newer, that
> automatically makes it better.

*nod* for our purposes even Theora is "good enough" to put pretty pictures
on the screen; we're not super concerned with the ideal codec, as much as
making sure that people can actually get access to the media files we have
-- the binary "works" / "doesn't work" is more important.

But... there are other platforms that have a crappy video playback
> experience with WebM or Theora.  I don't think this thread is just about
> the iPhone, though mobile is certainly the hardest problem to solve here.

Even my Galaxy Nexus running fancy schmancy Android 4.0 with WebM support
isn't a good target for actually playing WebM videos. I did a quick test
with 640x360 and 1280x720 versions of a quick throwaway clip:

http://leuksman.com/misc/vid-tests/

The quality of the video files is not likely to be particularly good as I
made no attempt to tune them well, just to check what played at all.

The *only* mobile device I tested that played the 720p WebM video was my
Galaxy Nexus, but verrrrry slowly and jerkily -- it's clearly not optimized
or accelerated very well. The H.264 video at same resolution runs silky
smooth. The smaller 640x360 WebM video runs ok, but is of course blurrier
being a quarter the pixels. Only Firefox seems to run the Theora files --
the stock Android browser doesn't, nor does Opera Mobile. Nor, oddly, does
Firefox run WebM files (though in theory it ought to...?)

Tested with devices handy:

Nexus One (Android 2.3.6; 800x480 screen)
* Browser - only h.264 works; can't play 720p
* Opera Mobile - only h.264 works; can play 720p
* Firefox - only Theora works; kinda slow

Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Android 3.2; 1280x800 screen)
* Browser - only h.264 works

Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.0; 1280x720 screen)
* Browser - h.264 works; WebM runs but is very slow at 720p; no Theora

Kindle Fire (Android 2.3.4 custom; 1024x600 screen)
* Silk Browser - only h.264 works

Blackberry PlayBook (Tablet OS 2.0; 1024x600 screen)
* Browser - only h.264 works

iPod Touch (iOS 5.1; 960x640 screen)
* Safari - only h.264 works

iPad 3rd-gen (iOS 5.1; 2048x1536 screen)
* Safari - only h.264 works

Dell Inspiron Duo tablet (Win8 consumer preview; 1366x768 screen)
* IE 10 - only h.264 works

It's looking pretty bleak for anything but h.264 on the mobile front
(phones & tablets). :P

We've also been talking about h.264 ingest, which is completely different
> and arguably more important.  There are millions of HD camcorders wandering
> the world inside people's phones, which are also reasonably capable video
> editing platforms.  We could be taking advantage of that.

Agreed; accepting incoming video in h.264 will be a must.

-- brion