On 20.03.2012 20:29, Daniel Friesen wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 07:03:06 -0700, Lars Aronsson <l...@aronsson.se> wrote:

On 03/20/2012 02:24 AM, Brion Vibber wrote:
The prime competing format, H.264, has potential patent issues - like other MPEG standards there's a patent pool and certain licensing rules. It's also nearly got an exclusive choke hold on mobile - so much so that Mozilla is
considering ways to adopt H.264 support to avoid being left behind:

http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2012/03/18/video-user-experience-and-our-mission/

Is it time for us to think about H.264 encoding on our own videos?

Right now users of millions of mobile phones and tablets have no access to
our audio and video content,

Which are the patents and when do they expire? Which are the
platforms that don't support Theora, and what stops them?
Maybe we should flood Wikipedia's most visited articles with
videos, so millions of users will be made aware that the makers
of their equipment (Apple iPad?) should support open formats.

Now, if we were to take this path, how do we flood Wikipedia with
videos? Live interviews in all biographies of living people?
If this turns out to be completely unrealistic, because we can't
produce videos in sufficient quantity, then maybe the time is not
yet mature for video in Wikipedia.

Anyone have a good stockpile of old Public Domain movies?
I believe there are also at least two freely licensed movies. Everyone is using Blender's CC-BY "Big Buck Bunny" for <video> demos. And I believe there was another film that was openly distributed using .torrents. How about embedding full movies into the articles into the Wikipedia articles about the movies when said movie is a freely licensed modern movie or a Public Domain film?

Are these PD? There are quite a lot of them.
http://www.archive.org/details/movies
Dmitriy