Excuse me but it seems this seems to avoid the actual problem.

Although I know the answer for the most part, the question I think we should be
asking is more along the lines of "Why are they using email
instead of on-wiki discussion threads?"

I personally don't see a lot of gain in providing mailaliases for users.

@wikipedia.org seems too Wikipeida specific and may indeed look too official.
@something.wikipedia.org may not scale either because we also have projects on
other hostnames (wiktionary, wikibooks, but also species,  commons, meta and
other *.wikimedia.org wikis).

Also, when we do find a good hostname to use, I think it should be universal and
tied to a SUL username (not per-wiki or per-project), so it shouldn't contain
the name of a project (wikipedia, wiktionary, commons, ..) and not the name of
the software (mediawiki). Something like "users.wikimedia.org" might be
appropriate.

If that is done though, would it be an alias (forward) address or would it allow
sending (IMAP/POP3). The latter would probably also cost a significant amount of
storage over time, so alias/forward is probably better.

However that means that after you reply, your original e-mailaddress is visible.
In which case there is no advantage to using an alias over simply using
[[Special:EmailUser]], which is effectively also an alias for the first mail.

-- Krinkle