On 04/04/12 10:31, Daniel Friesen wrote:
> We have a policy of restricting the length of the first line. Since
> it's used by gerrit as email subjects.
> So as a result when I write the first line of a git commit I
> inevitably leave out critical information.
> So the first line of a commit misses out information that if I had a
> RELEASE-NOTES line to write would be in there.
>
> Also, I've noticed that a decent portion of my commits are small
> backend stuff or modifications. Stuff which have little business being
> inside RELEASE-NOTES.
> Frankly if we do it that way RELEASE-NOTES becomes little more than a
> commit log, which is a lot less valuable than the RELEASE-NOTES we
> currently have.

I agree with this. Usually I target commit messages at developers and
release notes messages at users. Sometimes that means that the two
texts have nothing in common at all.

I think the release notes could go further down in the commit message,
perhaps with a footer style similar to Gerrit's Change-Id, for example:

Refactored Foo.php, splitting animal classes from vegetable classes

* Used closures for EVERYTHING
* (bug 98765) Fixed a spelling error in a CSS class name

Release-Notes: (bug 98765) Renamed CSS class .foo-arbitary to
.foo-arbitrary

-- Tim Starling