> > Again, Just theatrical security, Most people tend to use the same
> > passwords everywhere, if this was the case for said Sysop, Their email
> > is also compromised. Also this would require wikis to have email
> > sending setup, as well as the user to have confirmed theirs.
> >

> That's the problem of user if they use same password, but I believe
> that any users with any sense for security don't do that, sysops could
> be instructed to use different password than in their email.
>
> >> This would be much simpler and it would actually make hacking
> >> to sysop accounts much harder.
> >
> > Not really, per my point above.
> >

> It would per my point above your point.

The problem here is that it doesn't really discuss how a sysop account has
been compromised; via the email account? Via some more direct method?

As pointed out it is somewhat security theatre.

Besides; you're looking for a problem to fit the solution. On English
Wikipedia compromised accounts are, in themselves, rare occurrences. And
compromised sysop accounts rarer (read; I've never seen one!).

We discussed this at length when implementing the age-desysoping, and
agreed it wasn't an entirely failsafe method against compromise. But it
does provide a level of scrutiny to a  returning sysop; and really that is
all that is needed. The amount of damage a compromised sysop account could
do isn't critical and they can be stopped relatively easily - if they have
scrutiny.

This is the best form of security.

Tom