> Ok, your reply makes a lot of sense. However problem is that how users
> get more "hats" they are usually more afraid of loosing them :-) and
> would probably like to have an option to protect from attackers (I
> don't really know but I hope that people with some extra flags are
> trying to have a secure password at least).

Not a bad aim - I didn't intend to be outright discouraging :)

> The account is getting
> more valuable and for example account of some stewards might be a good
> target for hackers.

Yes; Steward accounts are a whole different matter - I'd say they have a
much higher level of risk if compromised.

> The question is how these people can defend
> themselves when the philosophy is "we don't need strong security
> because user accounts aren't valuable / can't do much damange to site"
> - when their account is compromised, they will surely have the flags
> revoked permanently, that's likely not what they want. So at some
> point, having more security measures which could be opt-in for people
> who do care about their account, in opposite of people whom account
> isn't interesting for hackers would make some point too. Given that
> there are thousands of sysops on big projects, I guess they would
> welcome to have this feature. (Not that I care, personally, I was just
> interested in implementing that to mediawiki)

As above; not a bad aim.

One good idea would be to enforce some sort of minimum password standard -
that can help with brute force attack vectors.

Tom