On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:46 AM, K. Peachey <p858sn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Petr Bena <benap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I started working on two extensions in October, more than 6 months
>> ago. Both were approved by community on Village Pump and it was agreed
>> to deploy them to english wikipedia. One of the extension had hundreds
>> of lines and is considered as "bigger", the other one consist of +- 15
>> lines of code, which was developed together with Ian Baker who is
>> employee of the wikimedia foundation.
>
>> I was told that in order to
>> deploy it, I need to pass code review. I requested code review many
>> times on many places and although it was more than 6 months ago, no
>> one seemed to be able to review these 15 lines of code so far
>
> Who? Where?, Have you tried asking Tim or Roan on IRC?.

Yes, many times

I asked on irc so many times I stopped counting, I created few
bugzilla tickets, informed many developers who are working for wmf,
and Mark Hershberger (I think there are many more who knew about it)

>> I understand it, that only employees of the foundation are actually
>> permitted to write the code which is going to be deployed to wmf
>> sites.
>
> No, Everyone is. Just everything requires review before being pushed
> to the site and there is a smaller pool of those compared to those
> commit code (thus, Backlogs can occur). Since general MW code is
> reviewed by many eyes (Since its generally used by more people)
> compared to extensions which generally aren't reviewed as much in our
> normal code review process.

Review takes so long that until it actually happen, the extension may
not be needed anymore (read the first response - 2 years waiting for
review and now it seems that a new technology will be implemented
which may do similar stuff as extension itself)

>> If that is true, it should be noted somewhere, so that
>> volunteers (the people who aren't employees / paid for that) can know
>> that spending time on creating such an extensions, will likely result
>> in it never going to be implemented, thus it's not anything they are
>> suggested to do.
>>
>> While this is secure for the foundation, so that it can actually have
>> perfect control over the code which is wikimedia running on, it is
>> sort of against the idea of open software.
>
> If that was the case, Half (by a small guess) of MediaWiki wouldn't exist.
>
> Some extensions that come to mind (Attached names are rough memory)
>
> * E:WikimediaIncubator - SQRobin
> * E:APISandbox - MaxSem (before he was a contractor)
> * E:AssertEdit - sanbeg
> * E:CategoryTree - Daniel K (i'm fairly certain, but not postive)
> * E:CLDR - Niklas iirc
> * E:ContactPage - Daniel K
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Category:Extensions_used_on_Wikimedia
> will find you otheres I'm sure.

I don't say it didn't work in past, I say it's broken right now.