On 4 April 2012 15:35, Petr Bena <benap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That sounds like as microsoft would interpret how perfect system
> should work, and why I don't like windows:
>
> "We know best what the user wants, so let us configure the system
> according to what we think that is best for them, without even giving
> them option to change anything on that"
>
> Seriously, don't make microsoft windows from mediawiki, please. We
> could as well make mediawiki do what it "thinks that user wants to do"
> rather than "what user really wants"

Actually; what he is describing is super-serious security 101.

Users are always a major security flaw in any system, and leaving security
options up the them increases your attack vector (i.e; most people don't
use Gmail 2 factor authentication, because it is a pain).

There is a reason Microsoft (successfully) makes use of this model. As does
most modern Linux distro's, Mac OSX, etc etc. The key is getting a balance
between sane defaults and advanced configuration for those with proven
responsibility to understand their own security.

If you make it *easy* for an individual to disable a key security feature
then your security effectively becomes useless.

Tom