Von: wikitech-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:wikitech-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] Im Auftrag von Mark A.
Hershberger
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 6. Juni 2012 19:36
An: developers, Wikimedia
Betreff: [Wikitech-l] MediaWiki tarballs and the WMF

In the past couple of weeks I've been talking with Sam Reed (WMF's current
MediaWiki release manager) and Rob Laphiner (WMF's Platform Engineering
Director) about the future of MediaWiki tarballs.

I began this discussion after Rob expressed regret about the WMF's ability to
give tarball distribution the attention it deserves.  Since the WMF is focused
on maintaining Wikipedia and its sister projects, tarball distribution often
loses among competing priorities.

The Foundation has made MediaWiki available for everyone and that's a great
thing.  But Wikimedia's funding comes from donations as a result of requests on
Wikipedia, not from distribution of MediaWiki, so they are rightly focused on
their production cluster.

Other users of the MediaWiki software have different needs.  For instance,
Citizendium, and Wikia and have both pegged their MediaWiki installations at
1.16.5 for stability and made their own modifications
-- essentially forking the code.  Forking is not ideal, but it is
understandable because there is no cooperation around individual MediaWiki
releases over the long term.  With a third party to manage MediaWiki releases
and maintain long term support for selected releases, cooperation between
non-WMF users would be smoother.

To this start effort, I welcome interested collaborators from the community of
MediaWiki users outside of the WMF.  With your help, we will start making and
maintaining MediaWiki releases based on the core MediaWiki code without forking
development.

I've been discussing this with some MediaWiki sites as well as setting up a
separate mailing list for packagers (such as Debian and RedHat
distributors) and discussing it there.  So far the response has been positive.

So now I'm asking you guys. Any interest?

--
http://hexmode.com/

Find peace within yourself and there will be peace on heaven and
    earth.  -- Abba Isaac