On 7 June 2012 16:26, Chad <innocentkil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We should kill those distro-specific pages and I've been saying that for
> years. Most of the advice ends up being rather generic, it forks the
> content, and they generally end up being abandoned and out of date.

*Not while they need to exist*. At the least, we need to document when
a distro does something weirdarse. And this particularly applies to
Debian, which does a pile of weirdarse things, to fit in with the
weirdarse things they do with Apache. (Which the distro-specific page
also needs to list.)

This will increase the probability that people like me will actually
use the distro version rather than finding it a weird unsupported
fork.

Of course, this requires a list of weird things Debian does. Is there
such a list? (I see the MediaWiki page on the Debian wiki is proposed
for deletion ...)

I'll start hacking that page to bits, on the assumption that it needs
burning and starting over. What is Debian's mailing list for
MediaWiki? I went looking for it and couldn't find it ...

- d.

- d.