2012/6/7 Risker <risker...@gmail.com>:
> The first IPv6 edit to English Wikipedia required suppression, I have been
> advised, so I think there are some valid concerns about the implications
> this change will have on vandalism management.
>
> Does nobody else see the issues associated with having what little guidance
> there is about IPv6 locked into pages in user space on a single project,
> when this is a global change?

Risker, I think you're over-reacting here. Yes, there are risks
associated with IPv6. No, they haven't been addressed completely
before IPv6 day (apparently because of the very late moment the
decision to participate was taken). But it hasn't destroyed the
projects so far and chances are, by the time IPv6 vandalism will have
any significant effect, they will be solved (estimates are that 50% of
the Internet users will have IPv6 only in 6 years [1]).

I will compare this with the SOPA blackout (and the equivalent event
on it.wp). Back then, there were people talking about the negative
effects the blackout will have on the credibility of Wikipedia. The
blackout happened and passed without any significant drop in
pageviews, but with huge media and popular attention.

IPv6 is now in a stage where it needs that kind of attention. There
are only 3 countries in the world with more than 1% of IPv6 users
[2][3], and in one of them there are still troubles with the new
protocol. If there is little content available on IPv6, people will
not even be aware it exists and they will not demand it from their
ISP, which means there will be no users for IPv6 content making it
useless and the loop will continue. Someone had to break this loop and
the content providers were the easiest place this could happen.

It is good to have people aware of the problems ahead, but just crying
wolf does not really help.

Strainu

[1]
http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsp/ipv6-launch-day.-how-many-people-use-ipv6.html
[2] http://www.google.com/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=per-country-ipv6-adoption
[3] AFAIK, in both Romania and France, the huge percentages are due to
a single ISP providing "experimental" IPv6 connection

(both links come from the Slashdot stopry:
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/06/07/1752201/after-launch-day-taking-stock-of-ipv6-adoption
)