On 8 June 2012 07:33, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 June 2012 11:49, Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I  have never said that moving to IPv6 is a bad idea.  What I am
> > complaining about is the dismissive attitude taken toward the  volunteers
> > that are stuck cleaning up the mess when Engineering decides to do
> > something, apparently on the spur of the moment, without telling anyone
> > outside their own little walled garden.
>

> No, at this point you're just being deliberate rude. People have
> already noted on this thread that this has been in the works for
> years, whether you were listening or not.

The problem was never IPv6. The problem was always about the unspoken
expectation that everyone else would just drop everything else they have
going on to patch up all the stuff that got broken as a result of this
sudden change.  I get that this was an exciting step for the engineers who
got it done, and I tip my hat to all of them for pulling it off; from that
sense it's been a successful implementation.  I also get that at least 30%
of WMF users on hundreds of projects -that's roughly how many use one or
more gadgets, scripts or tools that didn't work after this switch -  have
now had their "editing experience" negatively affected, and that almost all
of it could have been avoided with a month or two of notice so that patches
could be written and resources could be put into place in advance.  One has
to hope this was a knowledge gap and that Engineering did not actually know
the extent to which it would impact the projects and the end-users.

Engineering has worked very hard over the last couple of years to improve
its communication processes, to re-integrate with the various communities,
and to become more responsive to the hundreds of volunteers who work on
engineering projects as well as the tens of thousands who use the product
on WMF sites.  This has made a big difference in the acceptance and success
of its innovations and work. It's really sad to see the reversion to the
deprecated pattern of poor communication over such a significant and
important change.

Risker