On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 12:27 AM, Chad <innocentkil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 5:27 PM, Brion Vibber <br...@pobox.com> wrote:
> > In my experience, the bots in the channel are an important part of our
> > workflow -- new bug reports, bug updates, and patches in gerrit. When I'm
> > discussing things in #wikimedia-dev I usually end up having to manually
> add
> > references to something that a bot already sent to #mediawiki, which is
> one
> > of the reasons I've always preferred using #mediawiki.
> >
> > Please don't make yet another split-off channel; that'll be annoying and
> > make things more complicated for little if any benefit.
> >

> I think I agree with Brion more than anyone else. I find the bots to
> be incredibly useful, and jumping back and forth between channels
> is a pain. Also like I've said multiple times in multiple places over
> the past couple of days--when you move channels you fracture
> discussion. It happened with #wikimedia-dev, and it'll happen again
> here if we don't do this right.
>
> However, I see the argument to be made that if you're not a regular
> then the bots can be rather annoying to filter out. And honestly,
> someone who drops in for a few minutes to ask a question shouldn't
> be asked to /ignore every random bot they see.
>
> Is there some middle ground here?
>
> -Chad

I agree with all the above (hm.. I see a pattern emerging :D ).

I think the middle ground is to keep the bots in a regular discussion
channel, but not the channel where most support and new-user development
takes place, but a channel where most core developers hang out. I'm talking
about #wikimedia-dev.

I'll cite myself from CR: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/12388 :

We should make the bots smarter, and spread out to relevant channels
> (rather than everything in one channeL). But I don't think one (or more)
> "bot channels" is going to work. The main concern raised (iirc) is that new
> users don't like them. And I agree the 'user' level doesn't have much use
> for them. A few ideas:

* #mediawiki: wikibugs for Product=MediaWiki (maybe + MediaWiki extensions).
> * #wikimedia-dev: wikibugs for Product=Wikimedia.

* Other bugs are not sent to IRC (unless additional rules are inserted.
> e.g. mobile could have their component output in their channel)

 * #wikimedia-dev: gerrit-wm messages currently assigned for #mediawiki
> could be moved to #wikimedia-dev. That will reduce the flood for support,
> while keeping them in the relevant context of developers and conversations.

-- Krinkle