From the UX perspective, a captcha is always an obstacle for the
interaction flow.
Reducing the complexity of user interaction when solving the captcha can
benefit all kinds of users but also solve problems for non-English speakers.

Checkbox and honeypot-based captchas avoid most of the problems of
text-based captchas since interaction is simplified to the minimum for the
user:
http://uxmovement.com/forms/captchas-vs-spambots-why-the-checkbox-captcha-wins/

Simple questions where the user can select an answer (not type) will solve
some of the input-related issues for non-English speakers.
These questions can be of different kinds (e.g., "Which one does not belong
to the group: Red, Green, Skateboard, Blue?", "Is fire hot or cold?") and
they can be based on text or image selection.
An example of image-based captcha is available at
http://www.picatcha.com/captcha/

Tagging media can be also used as a captcha. Google has been experimenting
with asking users to tag videos as a captcha:
http://cups.cs.cmu.edu/soups/2009/proceedings/a14-kleuver.pdf  [PDF]

In any case, some experimentation would be required to determine any of the
above approaches (or combination of several) provides an appropriate
security-usability balance for the specific needs of the Wikipedia.

Pau

Pau Giner
Interaction Designer
Wikimedia Foundation