I made some mockups to illustrate some of the ideas on captchas that could
be less problematic for non-English speakers, improve the general UX and
rely on images from commons.

- Panorama captcha:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Panorama-captcha-idea.png
Based on tagging parts of a panorama picture with the appropriate word (in
the UI language or Basic English words).

- 'Who is who' captcha:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Find-all-captcha-idea.png
Based on finding from a set of similar images the ones that fit a specific
criteria (with an image describing also the criteria).

- 'Find the different' captcha:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Find-the-different-captcha-idea.png
Based on finding the image that is different from a set of images.

These captchas will probably generate new problems for the technical side,
require adjustments to reduce the chance of a machine to solve them, or may
just be unfeasible to generate, but I wanted to provide these ideas in case
anybody else may use it as a base for improve on any technical weakness
they may have and make them at least as hard to solve for a machine as
text-based captchas are.

Pau

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Helder . <helder.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Everton Zanella Alvarenga
> <ezalvare...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > After working on campus with new
> > editors in Brazil, I've checked this is a real obstacle, since most
> > people here cannot ready English at all.
> >
> > I'd like to know if there are plans to solve this issue - I hope I
> > don't sound rude, maybe this can be a minor issue when we don't see
> > the difficulties people from a different place can face. I think this
> > is important for Wikipedias other than the English one (just read
> > people comments in the bug) and we can be loosing new contributors
> > because of their first impressions. Thanks,
>
> It should be noted that this is the only Wikipedia where the captcha
> is triggered for any edits made by anonymous or unconfirmed users[1],
> not just for edits which add urls.
> So, those users are affected by any issues of captcha on ALL their edits.
>
> Best regards,
> Helder
>
> [1]
> https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/gitweb?p=operations/mediawiki-config.git;a=blob;f=wmf-config/InitialiseSettings.php;h=5dd1bb63d399f0ba7bc49a4656dfed9109b550da;hb=HEAD#l8470