Regarding how to calculate the line-width (for the 80-100 convention), the
way my old editor used to do it made the most sense to me: Consider a tab 1
character (because it is).

That also gives the most flexibility in indenting/outdenting blocks without
having to worry frequently about it being too long for the 80-100
convention.

The downside of that approach is that a block with 40 characters per line
in a block that is indented 8 times may appear to be longer than a block
that is not intended at all and has a 100 characters per line (e.g. if your
editor shows tabs as 8 spaces, 8 * 8 + 40 = 104).

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM, Platonides <platoni...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For a review tool, we want to spot "spaces instead of tabs", so we
> should use an uncommon tab size.
> I vote for 7 spaces.

Gerrit already shows this very clearly by showing the red tab symbols.

This is enabled by default and can be changed by setting Differences >
Preferences > Show Tabs.