On Aug 18, 2012, at 12:55 AM, Siebrand Mazeland (WMF) wrote:
> Isn't the friendly space policy[1] something that can be applied here? If
> that policy is slightly adapted so that online spaces are also covered, we
> don't have to invent YACoC[2].
>
> [1] http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Friendly_space_policy
> [2] yet another code of conduct
>
> Cheers!
>
> Siebrand

The friendly space policy appears to be geared more towards dealing with
discrimination and harassment, which isn't really the issue at hand. As far as
I can tell, the issue that caused this thread is a perceived lack of diplomacy,
tact, and respect in communicating with others in the community.  This
terseness/lack of respect[1] raises the general level of tension in the
community, and contributes to what would be considered a toxic environment for
new volunteers.  The WMF official code of conduct
(http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Code_of_conduct_policy) at least includes
some language regarding treating everyone in a respectful manner, but lacks any
outlet for complaints or concerns (which the friendly space policy DOES have,
which is awesome).

As much as I agree that it's good to not re-invent the wheel when we don't have
to, I DO think a community code of conduct is something that is worth doing,
and not adequately shoehorned into any of the existing publicized policies.
Ideally (to me), there should be two parts: first, a community code of conduct
identifying behavior we wish to avoid (harassment, discrimination,
disrespectful language, accusatory language) AND a laid out course of action
for when issues arise (contact the person privately and CC the moderator, or if
you feel unsafe doing so, just contact the moderator); second, a general email
etiquette guide, that can provide general guidance on how to follow the code of
conduct.

Something to bear in mind with all of this is that I don't think anyone is
trying to act in bad faith here.  No one is trying to troll.  I think all
anyone is really asking for is a bit more consideration in HOW we say things on
this list.

Thanks,
Nabil Maynard

[1] Lack of respect is not the same as disrespect (in the same way that
amorality is not the same as immorality).  With disrespect, it is a lot easier
to identify a specific statement that was heinous enough to invoke the drama
and ire of others on the list.  With a lack of respect, it is much harder to
point at any one thing, and it can often end up being justified/excused as
being "technically correct."  When that happens enough, though, people are
still going to snap, and it'll be harder to clean up.