On 21/08/12 23:50, bawolff wrote:
>> LiquidThreads was also originally community designed. The maintainer
>> added every feature under the sun that the community requested, which
>> lead it to become a bloated and difficult to maintain piece of
>> software...
>
> I most definitely agree - WONTFIXING a request that is a "bad idea" is
> just as important as fixing bugs, or implementing the good ideas. The
> art is of course in being able to determine what constitutes a "bad
> idea" and a "good idea". Its also important to keep in mind the
> community is full of many people with different conflicting goals, you
> can't blame them for requesting bad ideas or things they don't
> actually want. (Just to be 100% clear, I'm not saying that you (or
> anyone else) is blaming the community for that, just making the point)

This is an important point. Pretty much everyone here can "accept" a bug
(by coding the feature), but when to "reject" it?
I'm sure there's a number of "bad-ideas" bugs which nobody closed.
Because "who am I to decide on this?", "this might be implemented in an
extension if it's really needed...", etc.

I don't think it's a problem for "clearly wrong bad ideas", IMHO they
are properly closed (even then, I prefer that several people chime in
saying so before closing, showing that there is consensus in not doing it).
But there's a gray area inbetween. Some even had commits or got implemented.

(LQT had a lead developer, so it would have been much easier, but I
wanted to center into the general case)