Aaron, thanks for your reply. On a technical level you are simply saying that
it is not currently possible. I'll report that at the wiki so we can vote on a
different option.
But I respectfully disagree regarding the value of the function, and hope you
will take an alternative view into account. You wrote:
>You cannot have pages "use the latest quality version" as the default version.
>This would create a very confusing interface that takes a mouth full to
>explain.
But there would be nothing confusing about it at all:
"When a page reaches X level of quality, that version becomes the default."
What is confusing about that? Not only is it completely straightforward, but it
would seem to be a very basic function for an extension of this sort. At the
very least as an option.
You also correctly write that:
>Also, it's hard enough to keep "checked" versions up to date, even hard
>for"quality" ones. You don't won't
>to end up with people having their edits take weeks (sometimes months) to show
>to readers because they
>haven't been highly proofed yet.
I agree of course that this can be a problem for any installation of "Flagged
Reviews" no matter what the configuration. But a configuration such as the one
I'm asking about wouldn't make that problem any worse. On the contrary, it
would make it far easier to deal with because only a minority of highly feted
pages would ever wait to be proofed. It would certainly be far *less* of a
problem than the option that is currently offered, namely that the latest
reviewed version can be the default for *all* pages, no matter how high or low
the quality).
Did the option I'm asking about ever exist in any previous version of the
extension? Since this is such a critical and important Wikimedia extension, is
there any appropriate forum for focused discussion of it? (Or is here at
Wikitech the right place?)