On 24/09/2012 13:35, Jon Robson wrote:
So I had a brainwave about this over the weekend.
The home page for the developer page should act like a personal appeal
only with __developers__ as the writers.

I think a personal touch is a great way to explain to a would be
developer to why they should care about our apis and our codebase.
Hearing from real people with real problems that they are solving in
the real world would be an extremely inspiring way to get new people
involved

I think the home page should be written as a personal appeal to a new
developer from ALL developers with links in the right places to the
right thing.
I think this should also be followed up by a randomised personal
appeal from a developer himself - we should mix these between app
developers, bug wranglers, feature developers, volunteers, employees
etc etc

I've knocked up a first version here:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Developer_Hub

In future I'd love to see banners ads asking people to donate
development time pointing to these pages or at least see the donation
page inform people that they can help in other ways.

Is anyone else excited about this idea or is it just me...?

That is an intriguing concept that could indeed work quite well to get people interested, but how many will remain interested after they encounter gerrit?

--
-— Isarra