On 18/10/12 19:08, Antoine Musso wrote:
> During our first weeks using git, we have been asking people to write
> nice summary lines since they are used in Gerrit email notifications and
> in git log.  I wrote a basic guideline (which has been improved since)
> that people can be pointed at:
>
>   https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Commit_message_guidelines

That's interesting. I usually don't put the bug number in the first
line, because there's not enough room for it. There's barely enough
room to fit in the most simplified summary of a change in 62
characters, and the bug number would take up 12, leaving you only 50.

Consider if you wanted to say what function it is you changed. Here's
a histogram of lengths of "ClassName::methodName" strings from
$wgAutoloadClasses on my test wiki:

length     count
----------------
9          1
10         1
11         4
12         7
13         3
14         2
15         6
16         13
17         15
18         16
19         29
20         32
21         55
22         62
23         106
24         149
25         152
26         177
27         225
28         258
29         297
30         301
31         338
32         355
33         328
34         290
35         282
36         240
37         204
38         220
39         172
40         173
41         141
42         126
43         80
44         88
45         69
46         63
47         53
48         27
49         31
50         26
51         23
52         9
53         10
54         10
55         4
56         5
57         5
58         8
59         1
60         4
61         4
62         3
63         1
64         1
65         2
66         1
67         0
68         1
69         1
70         0
71         0
72         1
73         1

Really, 62 characters is ridiculously short, and the existence of that
limit is a flaw in git, but at least you can write a typical method
name preceded by the word "fixed". With a limit of 50, you often can't.

-- Tim Starling