9 Ноябрь 2012 г. 2:52:54 пользователь Daniel Friesen
(dan...@nadir-seen-fire.com) написал:

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 14:08:53 -0800, Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:

> All extension branches were removed during the migration to Git. Very
> few extensions have branches for MW core major version support.
> There's no longer a simple way to branch all extensions when a core
> release is updated, and nobody has volunteered to write a script.
>
> So we're back to the situation we had in MW 1.9 and earlier, where
> it's usually not possible to run any actively maintained extension
> against an MW core that's not the current trunk.
>
> Given this, I think code reviewers should insist on backwards
> compatibility with MW 1.20 for commits to the master branch of
> extensions that are commonly used outside Wikimedia, at least until
> the release management issue is solved.
>
> -- Tim Starling

I've always been in favor of the trunk/master of an extension retaining
compatibility with the latest stable version of MediaWiki until our next
release. (with brand new extensions designed around new features in alpha
an exception)

However our LTS support for 1.19 is going to make this more of an issue.

I made quite enough of MediaWiki freelancer work for small to medium MediaWiki
installations here in Russia. Most of owners want new extensions or new functionality in
old extensions and rarely want to upgrade the core. They consider that "core update
is too expensive". It was especially true for 1.17, which introduced a lot of
client-side changes.
Maybe someday the most of activity (like Wikidata, Parsoid and so on) will be
outside of core? Such way core might become smaller part of total project and
change less often.
Dmitriy