Tim Starling <tstarl...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> All extension branches were removed during the migration to Git. Very
> few extensions have branches for MW core major version support.
> There's no longer a simple way to branch all extensions when a core
> release is updated, and nobody has volunteered to write a script.

> So we're back to the situation we had in MW 1.9 and earlier, where
> it's usually not possible to run any actively maintained extension
> against an MW core that's not the current trunk.

> Given this, I think code reviewers should insist on backwards
> compatibility with MW 1.20 for commits to the master branch of
> extensions that are commonly used outside Wikimedia, at least until
> the release management issue is solved.

ACK.  Also, I do not think that branching in accord with
core is the right thing to do for extensions as then a user
is faced with a squared number of potential combinations.

Extensions instead should have proper versioning (of their
own), with clearly stated support for/requirement of a Me-
diaWiki release/HEAD, so no extension releases are made just
to increase the version number even when no code was
changed, and on the other hand breaking changes in exten-
sions can be handled in different extension releases, i. e.,
you don't have to update to LiquidThread 3.0 just to get
compatibility with MediaWiki 1.21.

Tim