Something that seems to be being partially considered in these models
is browser shares that are growing or shrinking.

For instance it would make more sense to me to "support" IE10 than IE7
even if IE7 has a far greater market share this month.  If significant
work is needed for IE7, it might have dropped below an age or market
share threshold before that work is complete.

By the same logic, it seems fair that mobile browsers make the list on
a lower raw market share given that that market is likely to continue
to grow for some time.

Putting those rules (particularly for IE) into unambiguous, fair,
numeric cutoffs may be hard. Predicting future IE market share depends
a great deal on the vagaries of auto update policies and corporate IT
departments.  For instance Windows XP users are stuck on IE8 forever
and there are probably quite a lot of them in corporate America.

Luke Welling