On 22/01/13 01:44, Bawolff Bawolff wrote:
Given that there are algorithms that can solve our captcha presumably they
are mostly preventing the lazy and those that don't have enough knowledge
to use those algorithims. I would guess that text on an image without any
blurring or manipulation would be just as hard for those sorts of people to
break. (Obviously that's a rather large guess). As a compromise maybe we
should have straight text in image captchas.

A simple thing that could be done is to introduce localized captchas on non-Latin wikis (just remember that not everyone has the appropriate keyboard). This would mean that new captcha-cracking algorithms would need to be developed for each script, and if the wikis are small, spammers would not bother.