On 2013-02-12 12:55 AM, "S Page" <sp...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Daniel Barrett <d...@vistaprint.com>
wrote:
> > 1. A desire for a department to have "their own space" on the wiki.
>
> I assume you looked at enabling subpages in the main namespace?[1]
> That way Human Resources/Payroll/Show_me_the_money gets a nice
> breadcrumb up to Payroll and Human Resources landing pages.  You can
> encourage people to create subpages rather than making yet another
> top-level page by putting [Create page] forms on landing pages  that
> use a local template[2] and prepend the local hierarchy.
>
> > I'm not talking about access control, but (1) customized look & feel,
and (2) ability to narrow searches to find articles only within that space.

> (1) Code could infer subpage hierarchy and apply CSS from a
> corresponding CSS hierarchy.
>
> (2) Add prefix: to the searches to search subpages, you can make a
> form for it[3].

It should be noted that that doesnt work out of the box but needs
lucene/MWSearch extension.

For subpages to really fill this use case I think the page title would have
to show only (or primarily emphasize) the subpage name instead of the full
page name.

Also it sounds like in such a use case, one would want links to be relative
to the current path first. If on page a/b/c you would want [[foo]] to link
to a/b/foo if it exists and link to just foo if that page does not exist.

I think a good take away from this thread is that mediawiki has a lot of
featuters that almost fit the bill but don't quite fully.

-bawolff