Just to tie this thread up - the issue of how to count ajax driven
pageviews loaded from the api and of how to differentiate those requests
from secondary api page requests has been resolved without the need for
code or logging changes.

Tagging of the mobile beta site will be accomplished via a new generic
mediawiki http response header dedicated to logging containing key value
pairs.

-Asher