(apologies for the none-theading of this; I wasn't subscribed to
wikitech-l with this address when this message/thread was sent)

<quote name="Mark A. Hershberger" date="2013-02-19" time="23:09:18">
> On Tue 19 Feb 2013 04:39:25 PM EST, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> >> My longer term question is: Who is MediaWiki's release manager, and
> >> what
> >> can we expect of the person who has that role?
> >
> > I think the answer is now that Greg Grossmeier fills the role of
> > MediaWiki's release manager so he will have to answer this. :-)
>
> This subject has come up a couple of times in the past week so I look
> forward to working with Greg to implement some policy around MediaWiki
> releases -- especially the point releases for 1.19, the LTS release.
> There is a lot to discuss and I look forward to those conversations.

Hello!

To make this explicit:

Everyone: please do feel free to contact me (email or on IRC, I'm
greg-g) with any ideas, concerns, breakthroughs, gotchas, whatever
dealing with this topic. I might not be able to do anything about it
now, and I might not be the right person to deal with it in all cases,
but I can help route things and keep notes so that we don't lose track
of good ideas.

Generally, what can you expect from me in this new role? I hope the
email robla sent announcing my position can clarify much of it:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2013-February/066672.html

Quoting robla:
> Greg will be managing the deployment process for the Wikimedia
> websites, focusing at first on improving release notes and outbound
> communication, freeing up folks like Sam to focus the engineering
> aspects of the role.  He'll help our Bug Wrangler (Andre) figure out
> how to deal with high priority deployment-related issues; Andre will
> continue to broadly manage the flow of all bugs, while Greg will
> narrowly focus on very high priority issues through fix deployment.
> He'll also take over coordination of our deployment calendar[1], and
> will likely be a little nosier than many of us have had the time to
> do. Over time, Greg will look more holistically at our deployment
> practice, and potentially lead a change over to a more continuous
> deployment model.

Best,

Greg

--
| Greg Grossmeier            GPG: B2FA 27B1 F7EB D327 6B8E |
| [[User:Greg G (WMF)]]           A18D 1138 8E47 FAC8 1C7D |