Hi,

as Gry in #wikipedia recently mentioned, there is no IRC channel for
general wikimedia developer purposes - project wide and language wide.

There are subchannels for certain projects, but no general channel for
wikimedia devs of all kinds from all projects.

I suppose we could use #wikimedia-dev as a general channel for all
developers no matter of project or programming language. What do you
think?

Bellow is a message written by Gry who doesn't want to be part of this
mailing list

------- from gry@irc://irc.freenode.net/#wikipedia ---------

Hi,

Could we make an IRC channel dedicated to development of software for
wikimedia projects (bots, js tools like twinkle, irc bots, etc)? Some
people who work on some software for few wikimedia projects would
likely benefit if they had a place to discuss its implementation,
other than just ask #wikipedia (the largest channel of all). As the
questions may get more tricky at times, a smaller, more
development-minded channel could be a tad more effective at actually
helping (regardless of what project they're from, be that wikipedia or
wikibooks or something else).

There currently is #wikimedia-dev which actually is a place for
#mediawiki devs to meet, but they're not too happy with two channels
either [1] and it could be possible to discuss a take over. Or
otherwise a new channel named, say, #wikimedia-devel.

[1] http://bots.wmflabs.org/~wm-bot/logs/%23mediawiki/20130123.txt from 12:59