That is not a good comparison whatsoever. There's *no way* I or anybody
else has the time or patience to sort through a thousand line plain text
file, with automated bot messages, every day just to see if an important
conversation was missed. And even if the IRC logs were in some nice pretty
format, it's still inconvenient to have to check an additional site. Also,
it doesn't allow you to continue the discussion, whereas in the mailing
list you can always just reply.

IRC should only be used for what it's specifically made for: realtime chat,
i.e., when you need a question answered now or when the delayed email style
messaging isn't enough. For anything else that doesn't fit in that
category, stick to the mailing list.

*--*
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science