On 5 March 2013 22:08, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Ryan Kaldari <rkald...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

>> I license all of my MediaWiki extensions under an MIT license since I want
>> people to be able to reuse the JS code on-wiki, but some people have
>> claimed that even MIT isn't compatible with CC-BY-SA [1]. I've been
>> thinking about switching to CC-Zero instead. It's funny how most "free
>> software" is so burdened with inane incompatible restrictions that we can't
>> legally use it in many situations. What do people think about using CC-Zero
>> as a license? Now that's free software!

> I'm not sure that's true at all. The MIT license is pretty much a proper
> subset of CC-BY-SA, i.e., it has less restrictions and the restrictions it
> has are in CC-BY-SA anyway. People are lying to you. ;)

People will say any spurious bollocks in a licence discussion. (You've
been on Commons, right?) This is why we have proper lawyers on hand
:-)

I appreciate it would be *nice* to put the licence in the JS, Mako
makes the point as nicely in the bug as the original poster didn't in
this thread. But there must be a method that isn't operationally
insane.

- d.