----- Original Message -----
> From: "Chris Grant" <chrisgrantm...@gmail.com>

> This is based on a flawed reading of the GPL. The GPL covers the
> distribution of program code. The license specifically states that “The act
> of running the Program is not restricted”. (Furthermore: “Activities other
> than copying, distribution and modification are not covered by this
> License; they are outside its scope.”)
>
> The terms you are all referring to relate to the distribution of the
> software, not the running of the software. Wikipedia.org, does not
> distribute the software, that is MediaWiki.org's job. If Wikipedia wanted
> to, we could remove all licensing information from the software and it
> would still be completely legal. The GPL *only* comes into effect once
> you start distributing the software.

The problem here, Chris, is "what constitutes 'distributing the software'?"

WP is *sending a copy of the JS from its servers to a client PC, there to
be executed*.  *We* consider that "incidental", but a court might not;
decisions I'm aware of have gone both ways.  So that might *be* the
distribution step, legally, and trigger the license requirement.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       j...@baylink.com