> If "Whatever the JSON encoder we use does" means that one day, the
> daemon starts sending UTF-8 encoded characters, it is quite possible
> that existing clients will break because of previously unnoticed
> encoding bugs. So I would like to see some formal documentation of the
> protocol.

Json standard is pretty clear that any character can be escaped using \u
<utf-16> code point or you can just have things be utf8. If clients break
because they can't handle that, that is the client's fault. Its not a hard
requirement.

I see  no reason why we couldnt change later if need be. Furthermore I see
no reason why we would care which way we went on that issue. The raw json
isnt meant for human eyes.

-bawolff