Erik Moeller wrote:
>Having all technical contributors directed to wikitech.wikimedia.org
>would address that - it would introduce them to a magical world of
>dev-ops unicorns and PHP rainbows at the same time. And having
>mediawiki.org more clearly dedicated to the product would allow it to
>shine more brightly in its own sunflower-y colors.

:D

>At the same time, the amount of wiki-ping-pong we're playing with
>technically interested users could very well increase significantly as
>a result. Right now, wikitech.wikimedia.org is relatively quiet, with
>changes typically either being made by the Wikimedia ops team or by
>Labs users.
>
>It simply stands to reason that if we distribute a lot of content from
>a large wiki to a much smaller one, the number of times that you'll
>have to go back and forth between the two to find what you're looking
>for will increase. API docs? Over here. Status update? Over there.
>Extension installation docs? Over here. Specs related to the same
>extension? Over there. Ping, pong. Ping, pong. The divisions may seem
>logical to us, but for the confused technical contributor, things
>could easily get a lot worse.

Yes, this. All of this.

>If we do go forward with the migration to wikitech.wikimedia.org, I
>would argue in favor of largely depleting mediawiki.org of content
>except for clearly necessary end user documentation and support pages,
>to minimize ping pong effects.

Before too much gets moved or migrated (for a second time, in some cases,
as Daniel F. points out... some of this content was already moved from
Meta-Wiki to MediaWiki.org), I'd like to see more thought put into where
everything should end up. Moves/migrations are disruptive and the
resulting mess may be worse than keeping everything where it is for now.

MZMcBride