On 04/07/2013 02:52 PM, Max Semenik wrote:
> On 07.04.2013, 20:11 Paul wrote:
>
>> Indeed. We have a Universal Language Selector for 3rd party websites
>> already. This one would be super-duper great. This is where Wikidata
>> can play its part as well!
>
>> As for images, we have already a PageImages extension in all wikis,
>> and we have Wikidata, where item properties may point to images.
>
> Also, there's Navigation popups[1] while with
> api.php?action=query&prop=extracts you can get the text of page lede,
> or N first sentences. To summarize, almost everything (or
> eveerything) needed for this project is already available, so in a
> couple hours of hacking it should be possible to hack the navpopups to
> work in the way described in the proposal. I wonder how much reasearch
> have the proposer done before making it public? Nevertheless, I'm not
> saying that this proposal is not worth a SoC, however it should be
> heavily revised based on input from this thread, then we could decide
> if it has enough potential.

I'm glad Gaurav shared this proposal with us so early so that we can
help with criticism and other feedback.  Everyone else reading this
who's thinking about proposing a summer project: please tell the list
ASAP so we can help you too!

I think my main concern regarding Gaurav's proposal is the same one
Yaron mentioned in https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User_talk:Grv99 : as
our guidelines state, "YES to projects already backed by a Wikimedia
community. NO to projects requiring Wikipedia to be convinced."
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Summer_of_Code_2013#Your_project

Gaurav, the reason we have these guidelines is that we have seen past
failures and want to avoid them in the future.

Maybe you could consider thinking about what you are really interested
in and finding a more achievable way of working towards that within the
structure of GSoC.  For example, if you want to ensure that there's a
canonical photo and one-sentence summary associated with every article
topic, maybe you could work with Wikidata on that -- and then a future
student can improve the Navigation Popups gadget (and spread it across
all the wikis) to make use of the photo and summary sentence.  That's
just one idea for an approach that's more likely to succeed.
--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager